By Eugene V. Schmitt, CSP, ARM, CHST, CFPS, Risk Control Specialist
Christmas is a special time but safety shouldn’t take a vacation. According to the United States Fire Administration, more than one-third of home decoration fires are started by candles and more than one in every five Christmas tree fires are caused by a heating source too close to the tree.
This holiday season, remember these fire safety practices:
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from flammable materials.
- Keep your tree at least three feet away from sources of heat, such as fireplaces.
- Inspect light for damage or frayed wires.
- If you have a live Christmas tree, water it daily.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
Following these practices only takes a few minutes but can keep your family safe and the holidays enjoyable.
Contact Gene directly at 717.823.3157 or a member of the Murray Risk Control Team at 717.397.9600 for additional prevention resources and tools.
Share this Post