Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced when fossil fuel is burned by furnaces, portable heaters, vehicles, stoves, grills, gas ranges or fireplaces. The National Safety Council warns that winter can be a prime time for carbon monoxide poisoning as people turn on their heating systems and mistakenly warm their cars in garages.
Use these flyers to warn family members, employees and others of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning:
CDC Protect Your Family From CO Poisoning
Prevention is also key, and the CDC lists these safety precautions: install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home as well has have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year. To see a comprehensive list, click here.
Questions? Contact a member of the Murray Risk Control Team at 717.397.9600 for more information and resources to keep you, your family, and others safe.
Share this Post