Home Winterizing Checklist by HomeAdvisor
With the passing of the holiday season, winter isn’t over. There are still cold days and even snow in our near future. Make sure your home is secure in the months ahead. Be Prepared. Make sure you have a snow shovel or snow blower if you have a large area to clear. And, it’s never a bad idea to have some extra canned goods and cases of water.
Gutters & Downspouts
- If you didn’t clean and clear your gutters in the fall, double check them to make sure they are clear before the next snowfall.
- It’s a good idea to install leaf guards, if you don’t have them, to keep your gutters and spouts clear.
Doors & Windows
- Check doors and windows for gaps and repair so the warm air stays in and the cold air stays out.
- Caulk or apply weather stripping to any problem areas.
- Double-pane windows can increase energy efficiency.
- Replace your furnace filter.
- Test your heating system to make sure it is working properly.
- If it’s been awhile since you’ve had your furnace checked, call a heating expert to run an efficiency test.
- Make sure your chimneys and/or wood stoves are cleaned prior to use.
- Always make sure your chimney flue is open when in use.
Roofing & Decks
- If you notice loose shingles, have them checked and replaced.
- Give your deck a fresh coat of sealant to keep it protected in the cold, wet months ahead.
Stay safe and warm this winter and let us know how we can help keep you and your family secure. Contact a member of our Southcentral PA Team at 717.397.9600. We are always here to help.
Share this Post